View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Intercontinental Hotel, Tokyo bay.

Located near Takeshiba station on the Yurkamome line, the Intercontinental Hotel is only minutes from Ginza and Tokyo station by train or taxi.
Overall, the Intercontinental rates an 8/10. My favorite reason for choosing this hotel was because of it's fantastic views of Tokyo Bay and the Rainbow Bridge.

The staff at the check-in counter spoke good English, and I had no problems checking in, or receiving directions to the hotel's restaurants and facilities.

For facilities, I give it a 6/10 rating. There is no swimming pool, and the hotel gymnasium is small.

I would rate the restaurants at 8/10. The Japanese restaurant is particularly good, with fresh fish chosen from the nearby Tsukiji fish market. The breakfast buffet is tasty, and at $30 per person, is about normal for a 4 star Tokyo hotel.

My bay-view room at the Intercontinental Hotel cost $330 per night.

The Conrad Hotel at Shinbashi (walking distance from Shinbashi Station).

This is one of Tokyo's better hotels, very modern, and very convenient. The Conrad hotel overlooks the Hama-rikyu gardens (formerly known as the "Detached Palace"), which were built by the Tokugawa Shoguns in the 17th century. Besides the views of the gardens, Tokyo Bay and much of the metro area are also visible.

The Conrad Hotel lacks nothing, every detail is superb, from the decoration of the rooms, to the lobby and restaurants. It is an American Express preferred hotel, and deserves a 9/10 in every category. For those of you with an Amex Platinum card (or higher), you get 11am check-in, 4pm checkout, and complimentary glasses of champagne.

I enjoyed a garden-view room with a king-sized bed. The bathroom was unique in that the large bathtub was located next to a large window, which allowed me to enjoy views of the city as I bathed.

My room at the Conrad Tokyo Hotel was $720 per night.

The Tokyo Disney Sea Mira Costa Hotel (at Maihama Station on the Keio Line).

This is one of the most unique, beautiful, and enjoyable hotels I have ever visited. The exterior of the hotel duplicates the architecture of Venice, Italy, even down to the minor details. The fountain in the front of the hotel reminds one of Rome's spectacular fountains, but impressive as the fountain is, it is outdone by the fantastically beautiful lobby. It really must be seen to be believed. In appearance and atmosphere, it deserves a perfect 10/10 rating.

The hotel offers 3 restaurants which are quite good, though not spectacular. But if one doesn't care for the hotel's restaurants, one can simply go into the Disney Sea park and eat at one of the many restaurants located there. I give the hotel's restaurants a 6/10.

The Mira Costa Hotel offers wonderful facilities which include both indoor and outdoor pools, a wonderful spa, and a very good gymnasium. I give the facilities a 9/10.

Language was a problem when booking my room, it took some work to get an operator who could help me with the process. But the booking agents aren't actually on the hotel property, and are responsible for reservations at many hotels in the area. As it was, the hotel staff on site spoke good English, and were quite helpful in every way. I give the staff a 10/10 rating.

My harbor-view, balcony room at the Mira Costa Hotel was 63000 yen per night. Included with the price is one Disney park admission ticket, and up to 2 tickets for the Disney Resort train line.

Sansuiro Inn, 20 minutes from Yugawara station (on the Tokaido Line) by bus or taxi.

The Sansuiro Inn is a Japanese Ryokan located in Yugawara in Kanagawa prefecture. It is located high in a valley, with a river running below, with numerous natural onsen baths located in the vicinity. The hotel was recently remodeled before my stay, and every item inside, from the cedar ceilings to the tatami floors was brand new. For appearance, the hotel rates a 10/10.

Our 7th floor room was beautiful, with incredible views of the tree-covered valley. On our large balcony was a big cedar-wood onsen tub. A second, and even larger tub made of stone was located in the bathroom. If I could, I would give the room an 11/10.

The Sansuiro has a cafe, a souvenir shop, and one restaurant. More facilities are not necessary as meals are served in one's room. The dinner and breakfast menus offered much variety, including dishes for those who don't care for Japanese tastes. I chose a Japanese dinner, which was served in courses, one after the next, for more than one hour. Just when I thought I couldn't eat another bite, a new tray and dishes would be brought in. The quality, freshness, and taste of the food was very good, a 9/10.

At night the maid laid out our futons so we could sleep. I was surprised to find that the Sansuiro used Tempur-pedi futons. The comfort of the futons, combined with the sound of the river running over the rocks below, as well as the summer-night insects made my sleep incredible deep and resting. Of all the Ryokans I've stayed in, the Sansuiro is by far the best.

My room at the Sansuiro Inn was 70,000 yen per night.

Other strong mentions are the Tokyo 4 seasons (next to Tokyo Station), Nikko Hotel (Odaiba, on the Yurikamome line), Fujiya hotel (Hakone), and the Yamamotoya (also in Hakone). All are good quality, but not as nice or enjoyable as the hotels mentioned in my reviews.