(#17 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
11-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Eh, what you do with your food is fine, but I would think this would insult a traditional Sushi-chef (no matter what country you're in)

But on a side note, there is a sushi place in Alaska called "Sushi Gone Wild" -- he serves all sorts of sushi, traditional and his own.

He has something called the "Green Monster": It's spicy tuna, crab, avocado, cream cheese, tempura shrimp, green tea battered and deep fried, topped with sauce and green-tea crunchies!

He also has the "Kamikaze", smoked salmon, apple smoked bacon, cream cheese, avocado, crab, topped with sesame lemon sauce.

He has a unique sushi roll called the "Crunch roll" with quality raw tuna, avocado, cucumber, sweet spicy sesame garlic sauce, and green tea crunchies.

These are read off his delivery menu :-P His food, though insulting to Sushi as you may know it, is completely delicious. What do you guys think?

(The first two listed are not technically sushi, considering it's deep fried)
alas... this is quite a prime example of sushi gone awry >.>'''

to summarise.... nothing in that menu truly 'stands' out.
i'll give him propz for the utilisation of green tea... but...
that's about it really >.>''

running down the list~
that green monster...
i'm pretty sure i can go to any typical sushi-ya here in houston, and find at least two rolls that use those very same ingredients w/ one or two variations.

the kamikaze...
it's a bloody philly roll w/ crab, bacon and sesame lemons....
other than the sauce... no real wow in that....

the crunchroll....
wow.... dude.. like i haven't seen that in.... almost every sushi-ya? xDD
avacado... cucumber... and tuna... with matcha fritters..
although... i'll just give some props to the use of green tea >.>''

soo... yeaa...
i've seen a great deal of 'fusion' rolls in my time and quite frankly... very few ever stood out. idiot cooks desperate to keep up with the trend end up just throwing random shit together that seems good in theory >.>''
and.. i guess so people may know... that i don't shun all fusion for the sake of shunning
here's a few of the things that actually caught my attention... that weren't traditional

philidelphia roll~
instead of the typical smoked salmon, avacado and cream cheese, the chef replaced the avacado w/ cucumber, oboro, scallions, and a chili sauce (can't remember the name, it was some chinese/vietnamese sauce; not sriracha, lol)

pho sho roll
this roll admittedly quite awkward, but i like it only because it actually does represent pho
the chef uses cilantro, basil, seared beef, vermicilli noodles, and bean sprouts
and serves it w/ sriracha, hoisin sauce, and lime.

some weird thing w/ albacore
A cook that i worked with brought this about one day when he was asked to do something different.
over a layer of daikon, he placed a few slices of shira-maguro, then mixed together mayonnaise, yuzu, tobiko, sriracha, shichimi-togarashi to make a dressing then garnished with scallions.
i personally don't agree with it all too much, but it does taste good and is different (although not a roll), so i respect this dish.

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.