(#10 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Of course it is . . .

JayT FOR PETE SAKE! I know I used to do some weeabu things but I don't do that anymore and the last anime I saw was Ouran High School BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED! I've only seen an occasional Konjiki no Gash Bell and two episodes of 11eyes I was just saying it's a strange tradition to be celebrating by getting drunk!

I'm sorry but I'm tired of the hate!
You can't be a weeaboo right, you can't even spell it

Also care to elaborate why it would be strange to celebrate by getting drunk (you can't drink to XX age in XX country is not relevant here, as it is a Japanese event usually only celebrated in Japan)
In most cultures where drinking is acceptable it is almost a cultural tradition in itself to go out and get hammered on certain birthdays where alcohol consumption becomes legal(18, 21 etc.)
This way a whole group can all go out together and celebrate together as it is not just for one person it is for everyone who turned 20 in the last year! (and you don't have the trouble of your friend being underage when you just turned legal drinking age)

Perhaps you wouldn't have got such a hate response if you had elaborated more what you mean that "oh um wow" in your first reply, which sounds like you are attacking with sarcasm or similar from the offset.

seijin no hi omedetou gozaimashita for all who did celebrate anyhows