View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-30-2010, 07:46 AM

My high school education compared to my mother's was far, far more rigorous. My mother graduated from college in 1970, and went on to post-graduate work and has a master's. She often points out I did more before I was 25 than she did before she was 50. This was largely due to educational opportunities I was granted at the high school and college level she was never given.

My high school electives consisted of Radio TV Film courses, Computer Aided Design courses, and Robotics courses. None of which really existed at the high school level until only the last fifteen years. Math and Science, of course, were basic courses that led to higher electives. I do not claim to be a capable engineer, but basic math and and science gave me enough understanding to apply concepts in those electives. Many western countries are already falling behind in terms of math and science, especially as it applies to innovation and technology. Simply taking classes in humanities will only further this trend.

And my civilian careers have all been journalism, public relations, or teaching, but I still value the courses I took in math and science.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org