View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post

I don't need to know how to calculate the amount of calcium in a meal to balance an imaginary child's diet, what I really need is to know what and how I can cook this lump of meat, defrost it without poisoning myself and the difference between it and that other lump of meat. I doubt there will ever be a pressing need for me to vacuum form plastic, but I would love to actually know the names of these thingy-bobs and how they are holding the hoojamacallit together, so I know what to ask for and how to fix it when stuff breaks. How to grout tiles! Hang a door! Iron silk fabric! Thank God for google.
there are those classes, home ec. (cooking), and shop.

Yes, school is very purposeful, and is very much a necessity especially in today's world. Even this advanced math that you mention, which I assume is calc. (I don't see where you couldn't use the lower classes), is very useful and I use on a normal basis e.g. skateboard ramp building, converting wattage. It just makes life so much easier knowing the proper numbers.

Personally I could have used more periods to fit classes into my schedule. Unfortunately people in the states that plan to go to college can't really afford to take many electives. I remember I actually didn't get to have any electives and ended up taking 5 years of math in the 4 years of high school just so I could get up to a transfer level.

Also, I don't see how kids knowing more about culture will stop war. Most wars aren't because of clashing cultures. Not that culture isn't important, but the culture usually IS taught as part of the language courses. Not only that, schools usually have world history classes as well.

America doesn't really care about how other people live their lives. It's more about trying keep America a super power and such. Kind like when a person is "looking out for #1" first. America doesn't hate anyone so why hate America?

I think they system of teaching is correct, but it needs to be knocked up a notch. There are too many... not so bright ones getting through too easy, when they could have applied themselves and become quite smart.