View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You didn't learn about cooking and using tools?
It's entirely possible that he may not have done. I - for example - never was taught cooking or using tools, such lessons didn't start until Year 7 (age 11-12), and then it was entirely theoretically knowledge, I believe I only ever cooked two things: a fruit salad and a cheese sandwich, which as you can imagine one doesn't exactly need a class on to know how to do such simple meals. Then from ages 14-15 it's an optional course. So we learnt exactly three years of theoretical cooking skills :P

Personally I agree with some of the other posters, schools need to teach things more practical to everyday life, a lot of the time the skills we learnt were things easily forgotten or not applicable to life. I for one have never used a quadratic equation outside of lessons, but things such as cooking would would have been a lot more useful to have learnt! Then again, I suppose it's not entirely up to the schools, but to parents as well.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-31-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: corrected the grammar