View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-03-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
In the end, I think this is really a head shaking level of media hyperbole about a very rare issue - fueled by a couple high profile cases.
What?! How can you say this is media hyperbole. If the media didn't alert people to this problem, they wouldn't know what danger exists - Toyota cried floormats before the media got more involved. Also they wouldn't know to shift it in to Neatral etc. This is what I expect the media to report on. I also expect them to follow up.

Quote:
I believe even the pessimistic figure on the probability of being involved in a recall related accident was 0.0004%. Of course, if you`re over 60 it jumps to 0.02% - which somehow makes me think "user error" in a lot of those cases. Unacceptable numbers - even one case is too many - but I`m more likely to be hit by a falling meteor while out in my garden.
Would you then continue to drive one of these vehicles knowing of the recall? It says a lot for their QA and Engineering department of the current Era.

Quote:
As for "bouncing back" - who knows. Too many people see "Recall" "safety" and "Toyota" in the same sentence and set their minds without bothering to actually look into it.
I think this is going to hit them hard. Very hard. Kinda of like the Bridgestone Tire recall back 10 years or so ago.
But like you said, who knows..
With mass media today, people have a very short memory.