(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-03-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
What?! How can you say this is media hyperbole. If the media didn't alert people to this problem, they wouldn't know what danger exists - Toyota cried floormats before the media got more involved. Also they wouldn't know to shift it in to Neatral etc. This is what I expect the media to report on. I also expect them to follow up.
Are you trying to tell me that the media is only alerting people of the recall and telling them that if they experience an issue like that (with any car, by the way - not just a Toyota) to shift to neutral / cut the engine?

You must be seeing something different than I, as all the reports *I* have seen are talking about "how to protect yourself in a runaway TOYOTA" - "Would you buy an unsafe Toyota for your children?!" "Toyota cover up and conspiracy!" "Toyota isn`t stopping this fast enough!" "Do you have a Toyota death machine in your driveway?!" etc etc.

Reporting a recall and informing consumers of the danger is one thing, jumping up and down with glee and telling people they`re all going to DIE if they so much as walk in front of a Toyota (another media thing I saw - apparently they`re so likely to just suddenly accelerate that you should make sure not to walk in front of a parked one. )

Quote:
Would you then continue to drive one of these vehicles knowing of the recall? It says a lot for their QA and Engineering department of the current Era.
Yes - But I would go and have the fix done. Which is what media should be encouraging people to do - not scream and treat cars like wild beasts or hunt for conspiracies to "kill Americans" (another gem from US news).

Quote:
But like you said, who knows..
With mass media today, people have a very short memory.
Or a long one. It depends.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.