(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

02-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormingWynn View Post
Oops. I hit the reply button! Grrr. Sorry

One more question now that I double posted. What books do you recommend I buy to maximize learning? Software? Etc... Thanks
Beginner:
Yookoso! for structured grammar and vocab
Kanji in Context
Kanji ABC
download Anki (or Memosyne, but I like Anki better) and make flashcards of all words and kanji you learn (have a kanji/kana deck and a vocab deck) and review daily, maybe introducing 10 new cards of vocab daily and 5 new kanji cards daily

Intermediate:
Japanese Learner's Dictionary
Japanese Verbs at a Glance
How to Tell the Difference Between Japanese Particles
A Dictionary of Japanese Particles
bump Anki up to 30 new kanji a week (so do about 8 a day and have three days-ish of pure review each week with no new cards) and 100 new vocab a week—pull the words/kanji from lists for JLPT 3 and 2 (well, technically it's JLPT 2, 3, and 4, since in 2010 there are 5 levels)

Advanced:
Anki the same way as Intermediate
どんな時どう使う日本語表現文型500
start reading news articles via news.google.jp, and have an Anki flashcard deck for new vocab from these articles

You should also throughout be looking at the grammar points tested on the various JLPT tests.

This will get you writing and reading. To get speaking and listening, you really only have one true option: hang out with people who can speak Japanese. Watching TV will not really help you all that much. It will help you some with listening some, though.