View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-05-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormingWynn View Post
Hello, I'm new so excuse the newbiness. I have a few questions before I begin learning the Japanese language. Should I learn the Katakana, Hiragana and a few Kanji before I even start to set up phrases? Should I learn the rules of grammar first? Or should I learn both at the same time? How long should I expect to work at the language before I can even begin to form phrases?

A little something about me. I live in the US. I'm a college student working for my degree in Biophysics. My hobbies are learning languages, video games, cars and reading among other things. I know 3 languages; Spanish, English and French. I can understand a couple more like Portuguese and Italian. Japanese will be my first "eastern" language.

Thanks
~Wynn
I would learn them in an equal balance for a while. There will come a point where I suggest you just learn lots of new vocab (and when you learn a new word learn its Kanji too) , and focus on listening comprehension. Do not get to bogged down on grammar because a lot of the stuff you find frustrating to understand you will probably eventually just pick up as you get more and more exposure to the language. That is how it worked out for me anyway. Oh and most of all stop assigning the Japanese an English equivalent as soon as you can, and learn to start understanding and taking in the language from a Japanese perspective.