View Single Post
(#42 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
I'm going to buy it just to be the first.

What % of cotton I wonder.

10. Eats rice with every meal.
Can be considered sterotyping. Every meal is EVERY meal. Japanese do not eat rice with every meal all the time. No human does that. You are not offended but maybe somebody will be. You pick and chose apparently.
I hope you can find it in your size.

I picked apart the most offensive examples, but not every one. So now I am either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
Innate ability =/= Inhuman
Mixing these two is entierly your opinion, and it seperates why you find it offensive and I don't.

I'm not sorry that I find it funny. Humor is humor, and just because you find it offensive doesn't mean I'm going to feel bad for laughing at it. I know many Asians that would buy this shirt on the spot if they saw it.

*puts self in Japanese person's shoes*
I could kill you with my katana.
*steps out of Japanese person's shoes*

The Asians I know would probably laugh along with me at that. Say whatever you want, but it's neither racist nor offensive.

What I am doing? Defending comedy? Sorry, but this shirt is as harmless as it gets imo. I can't argue against something I don't find offensive.

You can't eliminate stereotypes. It's impossible. When someone says "dirt" and you think of the color brown, it's a stereotype of dirt. The human mind works off of stereotypes. If you're truely working to eliminate stereotypes, then you're wasting your energy. Do something more progressive, like educating people on other cultures.
Yes, you can eliminate stereotypes. The image of Japanese in the war poster I posted that were accepted 60 years ago are not accepted now. Social attitudes do change, but it takes time and effort.

Either you are part of the problem or part of the solution.