View Single Post
(#52 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

thank you again:) - 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
In the list, "ton" and "one" sound almost the same except "one" starts with a "w" sound (wuhn) that is not present in the correct spelling.
Thank you.
I didn't notice that ton and one sound almost the same without w sound.
so... in that case..."won" sound the same with "one" ?
Was wone the right spelling long time ago?

Quote:
That may be due to the initial vowel sound needing a similiar-sounding consonant sound to be spoken properly. Of course, this is not a strict rule in English as I can think of words starting with "u" (unknown, unseen, other words starting with the "un" prefix) that do not need this consonant sound.
mmm it's very complicated...
my English isn't good enough to understand...sorry!

Do you mean there aren't many words starting with the vowel?

I always wonder...how can I know how to sound a...I mean like...
apple(short a)
april(long a)
ape(long a)

Quote:
Both those places as well as immersion in other social situations, along with years of experience. Outside classroom settings they were presented not as rules but as accepted ways of speaking and expression.
right.
I see...
I think many Japanese do the same way to learn Japanese, but when it comes to learning English here in Japan... the teachers don't(can't) teach us how to read properly! but we have to learn the bloody Roman-ji at elemntary school! That made me really confused when I tried to read English, like... "take"

I wish my exJapanese Englich teachers could have taught us about magic e...
I was 21 years old when I was told about this magic e and the other basic phonics rules and it wasn't in Japan, but in Australia...

How do you study Japanese?