(#54 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyumtimtam View Post
Thank you.
I didn't notice that ton and one sound almost the same without w sound.
so... in that case..."won" sound the same with "one" ?
Yes, they sound the same. "Won" and "one" sound the same but have different meanings.

Quote:
Was wone the right spelling long time ago?
It may have been spelled that way centuries ago when Middle English was the type spoken in English-speaking countries in Europe, though I am not entirely sure.

Quote:
mmm it's very complicated...
my English isn't good enough to understand...sorry!

Do you mean there aren't many words starting with the vowel?
No, I am saying that in some cases a word starting with a vowel is spoken with a consonant at the beginning ("one" ==> "wuhn") in order for it to sound correct to a listener.

It's more obvious when using "a" or "an" to describe a single object.

Example:

a orange

and

an orange

If you sound out both, the first one is more awkward and does not sound correct to an English speaker. The second has a consonant "n" that connects the two words together, sounding correct to an English speaker.

Quote:
I always wonder...how can I know how to sound a...I mean like...
apple(short a)
april(long a)
ape(long a)
Practice, experience, and immersion in situations where English is the only language spoken are the best ways. Eventually, you will not need to concentrate as much on the rules of grammar and instead on how you heard it spoken correctly in past experiences.

Quote:
How do you study Japanese?
At the moment, having the learning materials (audio CDs and Nintendo DS game) in the same room as me, and checking this forum daily. Not much, I do admit.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"