View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-24-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I just have to pipe in when I am told that no one outside of Japan knows what they are doing.

I can't speak for anyplace besides where I live, so I don't know what sushi is like everywhere, but the places I go the chefs are from Japan, the fish is fresh, and it tastes a lot like what I eat in Japan (if my barbarian taste buds are not lying).

Don't discount "everywhere". I won't defend "everywhere" but I will defend the NW US.

I don't think I know what Kroger is, so I can't comment on that.
I have always respected and admired your knowledge and judgement, and I appreciate the things you do on JF for all of us. This hasn't changed one bit even now but I want to state the folowing.

A post in a forum is a post in a forum, not a composition or research paper.

Do you seriously expect members to make 2-page-long posts that is completely free of any kind of overgeneralization everytime they want to post? If that's what's expected of me, I'll never post again, especially when discussing a cheap, 4-dollar-a-pack sushi that doesn't even use fish, let alone raw fish.

If you don't know what Kroger is, you haven't been around much. Even a Tokyoite like myself has been to Kroger many times. I've eaten sushi in about 20 of your states and I've seen all kinds, and it's "generally" true that it's hard to find a sushi place in your country that satisfies me, who has been eating sushi for 50 years. The exceptions are mostly but not exclusively found on the west coast and around NYC. However, even in San Francisco, where one might expect the best sushi in the U.S., there are aweful sushi places. Do you expect me to mention all these exceptions when I want to make a comment on the often-horrible supermarket-bought sushi outside of Japan? Who would even read it if I did?

I defend your country as if it were mine here in Japan, making it a tough solo act at times. I've done so even at the cost of near ostracization among my own circle. Now I merely state that sushi outside of Japan is crazy because they use hot pepper, stir-fried vegetables, fruit, etc. to make it and I'm called the King of Overgeneralization. That's hard to take when I personally think I've eaten more sushi, both in and ouside of Japan, than any other members here.