View Single Post
(#593 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-27-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
By "black English tea", Columbine means Western "black tea". (Since the English popularized tea drinking in the West, it has become strongly associated with them.) Black tea is made from the same kind of tea leaves as what the Chinese call "red tea", but the Western drink tends to be stronger, and unlike Chinese red tea, Western black tea is usually not drunk straight. In Britain it is usually drunk with milk and sugar; in America it's more often drunk with lemon and either sugar or honey.
Hi, ColinHowell. I’m sorry; I’m very slow to answer.
So, English popularized tea is “black tea”, and Chinese tea is “red tea”. Is this right?
Somehow the internet dictionary said “black tea” is Chinese tea, but that must have been a mistake.
I drink “black tea”, and I don’t add milk or sugar in it.
That reminds me that flight attendants don’t understand when I say “plane tea, please”, although my English teacher has taught me the expression (meaning “without milk or sugar).
They don’t believe strongly that you always add something in your tea, do they?

Quote:
By the way, while Western black tea may have originated in China, a lot of it is grown in India. (During the 19th century, the British managed to smuggle tea plants out of China and cultivate them in India, breaking their former dependence on China for tea supplies.)
This reminds me, India was controlled by England.

Quote:
I don't think that notion is unique to Japan at all. I too would find it odd to be served either green tea or Chinese tea with Western food.
Thank you very much!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP