(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-03-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerier View Post
lol i don't know why i read it as ぶん just now, i guess i'd got mixed up

anyway i've got another question on particles. i've learnt that ちちもははもせんせいです means both my mum and dad are teachers my question is this: is it possible to chain も particles in this sense:
both my mum and dad are teachers too! [as a reply] --> ちちもははももせんせいです
You already chained them together in the first. Your second has one too many もs. Your second sentence is grammatically wrong.

Quote:
also if 写真をとってもいいですか means may i take pictures, can we chain the も particles in this sense may i take pictures too becomes 写真をとってももいいですか
No. Stop trying to add more もs than necessary!

In this sentence, the "too" refers to "I" not "to take pictures." Thus, if you really wanted to say "May I take pictures, too?" what you're actually saying is "May I [in addition to the other person who already has permission] take pictures?"

私も写真をとってもいいですか。

Do you understand? English lets "too/also" get ambiguous as to what it is modifying much more easily than Japanese does.

Your first step is to determine "what is the "too" referring to here?" Then apply も (or something else) to the correct part.

A great illustrative example:
May I throw a ball, too?
Does the "too" mean "may I throw [say, a rock] and also throw a ball" or "may I throw a ball in addition to PERSON, who is also throwing a ball"?

If the first,
[私は]ボールも投げてもいいですか。
If the second,
私もボールを投げてもいいですか。

Do you understand the difference now?

Edit I've been watching you for a while, and I think one of your biggest obstacles right now is your tendency to try and translate every word in your English sentence into Japanese and then mash them together. You cannot do this.