View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBullock View Post
It looks interesting. For me I find the kanji review sections a bit crowded and too much like trying to read a dictionary but they do provide a lot of information. Some of the vocab lists look a bit funny; not sure I'd put しゅうへんas the first word to learn at beginner's level, and nor would I translate it as "grove, small woods" so that makes me suspicious of the accuracy. However the example sentences all seem to use it correctly.

Which brings me to a navigational glitch- plenty of words are listed with "No example sentences are available at this grammar level," but there are if you figure out to click the 1,2,3 page buttons to the right. I like that you can rate the examples and that they have a hover over function for the kanji in them.

It's quite clever how you can set up the testing options to suit yourself, but it's a bit annoying that if you don't first specify all the kanji you know you can't jump to filling in the blanks, and it'll give you things like 間ちがえる instead of 間違える.

Interesting how it follows a text book. I think it could overall be a good support for people using the textbooks, but I do wonder a little about copyright. On the other hand, it's not got clear, explicit grammar lessons.

Overall I like the look of it, but it might be overwhelming for a beginner to use. Certainly you need a bit of experience with Japanese and some nouce at using websites to get the best out of it and the support of a textbook would be recommended.