View Single Post
(#44 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-24-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
Nope, if you read the article, they are giant private insurance companies and they *can be* the primary source of health insurance if the individual chooses. You seem to be under the influence that private health insurance can't work as a better solution than a public option. Take Brazil for example.
And private or public, you are going to share a room in many countries. We are all about "sharing" right comrade?
Private health insurance can be a better option for those that want to and can afford it. (I.E. for people that things like a private room is a priority). So yes that CAN be. It is about having options...in this case a public option and a private option.

Quote:
And the fact is, private health insurance can be a primary source of insurance in many countries. The difference is in the US, there isn't a government public option available for 100% of the population.

Private health insurance is working quite well in many countries and around 85% of the American population.
Like police and fire services, private health insurance works great for those that never need to use it.

Watch that number drop when you ask people who are "in the system" to give their feelings on the return of their investment. It is not an 85% satisfaction rate.

Quote:
Here it is folks. Profit is evil. The government doesn't make a profit, so surely quality of service and speed and accuracy would remain, not to mention the knowledge and expertise to run and handle health insurance.
Is that what I said? No.

Like software companies and car dealers, insurance companies are in the business of making money. Not of helping the sick.

Profit is not evil. However, when your job is to provide the best medical service of your customers, and you don't do that in the simple interest of making multi-million dollar bonuses for the CEOs of the company I think that is deplorable. The Humane Society is not for profit. Puppy farms are for profit. If you were a dog, where would you rather be?

Quote:
Why does the post office run at a deficit?
The Postal Service is the only government agency that receives no money from taxes. It is forced to be self-sufficient. Why is it losing money? Because people don't write letters any more.

Quote:
Why does the service at the DMV suck?
Mine is fine, but I have heard that before.

I am sorry Clint, but I am not going to go through all your points...there just aren't enough hours in the day. After Darksyndrem basically assed out after two days of discussion, I just am not going to put much more time into this.

Cop out? Maybe. I agree with much of what you are saying, and the frustration comes from so many question marks. Do I think the bill that passed is perfect? No. I am not going to pretend to completely understand it, but I am going to put a little faith in the idea that it is a big step in the right direction and a direction I believe in.

If this bill really is the hell storm that some politicians would have us believe, then that will come to fruition and we'll see those that voted for it get voted out of office for causing so much pain and bankruptcy, etc.

I think this bill is the first step of a reform of a system that needs work.

If 85% of people (that are insured) really were satisfied with their health care, then why do more people support universal health care than private corporate health care?

At this point I am going to leave it at that, as anything more will be repetition.