View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Are you musically inclined? In my experience in university music classes, they usually aren't intro classes, but are for people that already know how to play the instrument being taught. I am not sure for this case, but it might be worth checking out.

The same could be true for the tea ceremony, as many schools have tea ceremony clubs where students have already practiced.

But I have to say the tea ceremony class might get extremely boring, especially if you do not speak fluently.
Musically inclined? probably not, it would be fun to take but probably not a good ideal, I would like to learn a instrument oh well to that. I went back and read the content on the shamisen, there will be storytelling and going over the history of the instrument all in Japanese, so that would not be a good ideal to take. I just figure I might could learn how to by watching. It is only graded by attendant and participation, but I would like to know about the history and what kinds of songs they are singing about. So the shamisen is out

Tea Ceremony Content/Schedule
"Students will study and practice all aspects of the tea ceremony. Students will learn the proper movements and forms associated with the practice of tea, including how to sip tea and how to eat the sweets served with tea, as well as how to serve tea and how to receive tea as a guest. In addition to learning the basics of the tea ceremony, students will be taken outside the classroom to museums, and to observe tea demonstrations. They will visit the Urasenke estate and its famous Konnichian teahouse, neither of which are open to the public. "

Here it kinda sounds like they are starting at the beginning and just learning the basic. Also on the site it listed under classes alot of past international students have had the opportunity of taking they were studying there,(shamisen also listed) however they do not say whether or not they were fluent in japanese either

I just wanted to maybe try my hand at one of them, the other classes that I am taking in English are interesting but its in a sit down and listen to the teacher talk for an hour environment. Just wanted to try something else, i might still try tea ceremony...
When you were in Japan did you take classes that were japanese and fully or mostly understand what they were saying?