View Single Post
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-17-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I don't think you can assume that would happen every time. My grandmother's letters from Australia have arrived here in Tokyo in as little as 3 days, and she writes the address in the standard English order, similar to what I gave above. She also writes in fairly hard-to-read cursive, but that doesn't seem to slow her letters down any.

There is no reason to think that writing an address in the standard order would make letters take a week longer when most letters and parcels I receive take less than a week to get here (usually from NZ, Australia and the US). I have had things take two weeks or more, but the address is always written the same way, so in my experience at least, it's irrelevant. I have never in 12 years here had a letter or package go missing, that I am aware of.
I was just giving my experience, and the results of me actually testing it with two letters sent at the exact same time, exact same post office, to the exact same address - the only difference being the order of the address. I received the Japanese ordered address much more quickly than the English ordered address. I have also had immigration advise me to write it in the Japanese order (before they realized I was writing my address in Japanese).

My address includes a long building name, that just happens to include both the name of my town and the name of a similar complex of buildings. It seems that this completely screws up delivery when out of the expected order.
When written out in the English order, without fail, every single time, my things are delivered to the same room number in the other set of buildings. This has never happened when written in the Japanese order.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.