View Single Post
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

My address includes a long building name, that just happens to include both the name of my town and the name of a similar complex of buildings. It seems that this completely screws up delivery when out of the expected order.
When written out in the English order, without fail, every single time, my things are delivered to the same room number in the other set of buildings. This has never happened when written in the Japanese order.
Actually my building name also has the name of my town in it and there are a lot of similar building names in the area- I live in a Midori-cho, so as you can imagine every second building has "green" in the name. I often leave the building name out of the address that I give to other people- you end up with a long string of numbers, but that is actually how the city office writes it so it seems perfectly acceptable, and gets rid of any confusion about the building name.

Anyway, I was just saying that a one time test by one person doesn't necessarily suggest a pattern. Japan Post recommends the reverse order when writing in English so I follow their recommendation. Probably it doesn't matter much, at least in the bigger cities.