View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

04-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadron View Post
my friend was telling me not long ago, about a documentary movie, i don't know details or name of it but it was something like this.

there was a foreign girl (i think french) who went to Japan and got an office job in there. it was a documentary about "working in japan" so this was probably like one situation in document. she worked about a year for the same company. i only know it was large company, but not sure whether public or private. suddenly a position in the very same company and department, has been made free for a new applicant. it was like position of manager of the department. so obviously this girl has applied and another woman/girl applied too. this other woman hasn't got that high level of education as girl from France, however she was working for the company for nearly 5 years.

the result was the other girl got a job. french girl has complained but was explained that to get certain higher positions in companies you must first work for a company long time and then you might get promoted, there is no other way.

she became like upset, and decided that she is gonna test what if she does nothing in the meaning... if she does nothing for 5 years, then she may still apply for higher position, is it not truth? because they only care for how long have you been working there.

so she really stopped working at once, just did sit on a desk. after 1 week it was spotted by manager that the expected work is not done so the first measurement was, that she was given easier tasks. she still did nothing. so she got something easier and easier and finished in maintenance dept. she got only one task, and that was to change paper rolls on the toilets if the are used up. and after all she asked, why they do not simply fire her out?

and the answer was: there is no way there would be no work for every employee of the company. they are gonna decide who does what, and who is good for what kind of job. so me personally, i don't know what is this based on. is it a shame for a company to fire someone, even if they are not happy with him/her?

so if this story is based on truth... you know, in my company if i would not carry on with satisfactory results, they would show me the doors and i would not be surprised or ashamed. but what this story describes is like being an employee is like being a member of some kind of family or sect which obviously might be viewed as strange to the foreigner

while talking about work stories...
It's a comedy based on a semi-autobiography.

Fear and Trembling

I recommend watching it. The main character remind a lot of JF members who dream to work and live in Japan.