View Single Post
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2010, 10:55 PM

Well, I'll just go out there and say I attended the protests on Sunday.

This bill is a joke, and if you honestly believe that there will be no racial profiling, you have to look no further than our own "infamous" Sheriff Arpaio.

Additionally, with our state's economy is already in shambles, education being in the miserable half-dead state it is in, it won't be able to take the fallout that is most certainly coming as a result. Remember Arizona's refusal to recognize MLK day as a holiday, and the boycotts that followed and caused it to lose billions because of it.

As a hispanic, I will not be surprised if me or my family is stopped. But if I am, I will refuse to speak English.

Quote:
I don't see anything in the bill about carrying a passport or birth certificate.
In Arizona a legal/real State ID or State DL is allowed because they actually do background checks unlike some states.
There was a recent case of a hispanic man being pulled over and questioned by a police officer. And despite being able to produce a driver's license, he was still imprisoned because he wasn't able to present anything more than that. It took his girlfriend (or wife, I can't remember which) to come to the station with his birth certificate.