View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
This time next week I'll be in the land of the rising sun!

Just realised: Will my phone work in Japan?!

I currently own a LG KS360 (runs on GSM/EDGE 900/1800/1900 - Tri-band).

Already had the Service Provider Call Center Wild Goose Chase - they were all useless as expected. Any help will be appreciated.

So excited!

よろしくお願いします

Another question:

My phone number for and England person to call me in England is 07771231231 or +447771231231. If this number works in Japan will it then be +817771231231?
No. Only a 3G W-CDMA phones will work there and only then if you have a SIM card for a Japanese network. Softbank is the only one I know that will rent you a prepaid SIM. And even if you have a device that will do it, some Softbank shops that sell the prepaid Sim won't sell it to you unless it is a device they recognize or support (depends on the shop as I've seen). Then I think you still have to return the damn sim back to the shop as it is "rented" as well; however that might have changed.

I successfully use a Dual mode (GSM and 3G) in the states and Japan (Japan using the 3g WCDMA mode). I have to flip my sim cards between countries though. Not many phones do this; and they have to be unlocked.

Sucks doesn't it.

It is just easier to rent a phone; which you can do at the airport; and return as well. Most of them give you free incoming calls. And charge you 100 to 300 yen a day to keep it active. Some give you phone mail or tethering Internet for the mere price of you soul. Making calls can be a bit expensive though; even local calls. It can add up. Good for an short trip if you absolutely need a phone on you to receive calls. Pay phones are still quite accessible there.

It is sometimes good to use the payphones to make the call instead of a cell phone as it is still cheaper to do it that way. If you do you combine or solely use the payphone route, by a phone card so you are not sorting through your pockets looking for correct change.

If you are going to be there for a while (a year or more), get a plan / contract. If you are going as a student you can get a student plan that is quite affordable.

Have a good time.

Last edited by clintjm : 05-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.