View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I would not say that this definition is wrong, but that it is incomplete. Of course my opinion is influenced with a life spent in the midst of western thought and organized religions, but with faiths securely bound in eastern spirituality.

Philosophy and Religion are destined to overlap and influence each other. Philosophy exists totally separate from Religion in limited instances and Religion can exist apart from philosophy.

There is a endless supply of instances of the latter, which I consider one of the primary causes for failure of mainstream Religion. Its seems when ritual supercedes understanding and relies purely faith, and even defies accepted philosophies the result is commonly conflict and crisis on a personal and/or cultural level. As for ritual, I regard it primarily as simply the vehicle/tool for expression of that which cannot be completely verbalized. And thus, essential to expressions of faith and sprituality. Religion (as often defined in the west) has too often made ritual a tool merely for perverting faith to power for those who would enforce ritual observances.

In the same vein, it seems to me, that when philosophy is isolated from the spiritual realms, it becomes cold, nearly inhuman and of little use beyond a mental exercise.

OK, the mind is diverging in soooo many directions now that I will stop and wait to read more from everyone.
Hmmm... I think the way in which you describe ritual and faith superceding the commonly accepted philosophies as validating my teachers definition of religion being philosophy plus ritual.

Also I dont understand. Is the existence of a "spiritual realm" the line that seperates philosophy and religious teaching? How can you define and seperate the spiritual from the non-spiritual in order to define philosophy and religion? After all when dealing with matters of human consciousness then where do you put that? For me the line is blurry and I would argue that it is not NEEDED as a concept EXCEPT to legitimise the seperation of religious teaching and philosophy. (I would go as far to say that it doesnt exist... but we can save that for another thread as it isnt relevant yet)

I mean I dont understand what you mean by "cold" philosophy isolated from the "spiritual realm".