View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Most or all environmentalists don't believe that this will actually reduce the number of whales killed.
That's quite a statement.

If ALL environmentalists thought it was a terrible idea, do you think anyone would go through with it (especially a Democratic prez)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post

If they did, they'd probably support it. And for that matter, Japan and the other countries would probably not support it if it drastically reduced the number of whales they could catch, yet they are pushing for this ban to be lifted. So I think the reduction is mostly just rhetoric, but we'd have to wait and see what the result is if it passes.

For one thing, it doesn't seem to outlaw killing whales for scientific research, which is what the countries have been doing. It simply legalizes commercial killing again.
I think we are mixing terminology. "Lifting the ban" is a bit of a misnomer as there is no ban on whaling now. Countries like Japan are killing whales legally.

That's not a "ban".

So if the idea is to change the rules so that the rules are more strict and that fewer whales are killed, then I would support that. People can call it "legalization of whale killing" but whales are being killed legally now.

You never answered my first question, Samurai.