(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllYouCanJapan View Post
Hey there,

There's a lot of planning involved if you are traveling for 1-2 months. Plenty to see, do, eat, drink and more.

If going for over a month, I suggest at least 3 weeks in Tokyo and its surrounding cities, another week in Kyoto/Osaka/Nara/Kobe area, and another week in Hiroshima and perhaps further south.

January is of course winter time, so going south (perhaps even Okinawa) could be nice, especially if you are into outdoor adventures which would be difficult in the cold.

I have a lot of things on my blog that could be useful (http://smartjapantravel.wordpress.com), and I am soon publishing a book that shows the right way to experience Japan and how to do it economically.
Three weeks in Tokyo is about two weeks longer than anyone probably needs to see what they want to see.

I have a feeling he meant 1-2 weeks, not months.

For some reason people think the longer you spend in a place on vacation, the better. Two months on vacation in Japan could cost several times that in salary. On top of that, Japan is not a "resort location" so unless you have bottomless bank accounts, spending weeks in any city will frankly get boring and expensive unless you are visiting friends or family.