(#4 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkify View Post
Greetings all, a newcomer to the forum!

I am currently a Taiwanese-Canadian university student, 21 years of age, residing in Canada. I had difficulties with school, so I only finished one year of studies at the moment. I will eventually finish my bachelor's degree, but I was thinking about going to Japan next fall to enroll in a college preparatory language school for one year (hopefully to master Japanese in fluent level by the time I finish, since I am currently at pretty advanced level), explore Japan and think about my options. While I am in Japan, I might be able to continue on finishing Canadian college credits online through distance education. Since I'd be studying in Japan, my family should be able to support me financially. Does this sound like a good plan?

I have considerable amount of retail experiences here in Canada with all of my past employers being internationally-renowned brands (such as Hermes, Brooks Brothers, Coach...). I would like to eventually obtain a retail position in Japan as the starting point of my career in Japan. Any advice on how I should be planning?

Before I master Japanese in fluent level (JLPT LV 1), and before I finish my university degree, what kind of options do I have work wise in Japan? I did read a little about the type of VISAs, but please feel free to elaborate them to me with personal experiences.

I'm gracious of all the possible assistance I could get. Looking forward to read some answers
If you are on a student visa you can usually gain permission to do some part time work. When I came here as a college student I knew of some students who were not native English speakers who were working at convenience stores. I suppose you could maybe get yourself a part-time job at a retail store. Nothing great I am sure, but a foot in the door nonetheless.