View Single Post
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liongale View Post
I remember reading another viewpoint about such a refusal of service in such places (it may have even been in Dave Barry's book he wrote about visiting Japan, I can't remember).

It was about: it wasn't a matter of being against foreigners, but rather the people do not know how to accommodate those outside their language/culture- so rather instead of running into an embarassing situation, they refuse service outright- which to the business owner's viewpoint was the 'polite' thing to do.
I must admit this makes a lot of sense. I am uncertain what our hotels or guest houses here in UK are like?

Maybe some of them also choose not to have certain people stay in their hotel.

It is their right of course. Do some japanese hotels etc cater for westerners. I know that I would be unable to stay in a ryokan where I have to sleep on the floor or eat from a low table. I am physically unable to do so.

Language also could be a major problem. So I guess if we plan to visit Japan we need to check first about availability and whether we wish to sample true original traditional Japanese hospitality-- or hope there are some places suitable for travellers from overseas.

I think each country should be able to decide for themselves who they are prepared to make welcome.

Reading about capsule hotels I find that rather scary.