(#26 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Interesting but surely when in ROME?

Indviduals who run hotels or guesthouses surely have a some rights.

There was a furore over here recently when a B&B owner refused to have GAY people stay.

There are plenty of other places surely.

I imagine in places like japan if guests cannot speak Japanese, and some of the staff have difficulty in communicating with non japanese visitors-- After all how many Japanese are conversant with westerners languages?

I must also say of course that if Japan wants to encourage visitors from around the world then they have to learn to provide the necessities.

Many of us are fascinated by Japan and wish to see that country.

It is a tricky subject-- If I booked in advance to come over I would need an interpreter and advice in the most suitable place to visit or to stay.

Before and after the war here, many lodging houses would refuse pregnant women or women with children, also NO IRISh or Blacks nor dogs. It was almost impossible to rent a property or a room if you were a single woman with a child.

I feel we are far more OPEN here than we used to be.
Sorry, but this has been bugging me for a while. You keep comparing 'here' to Japan quite a lot in various posts and threads. 'Here' isn't Japan, nor is it any other country, and it seems strange to keep saying 'well here we do it this way' or in this case 'here we're very open, but Japan isn't'. . . it sounds like you're implying we're somehow better than Japan. That may be just my interpretation, but still.

Discrimination is wrong, I think we can establish that. That said, if you went to Japan you wouldn't necessarily have to speak the language to get by, just the same as in many areas of England, America etc. one doesn't need to speak English to get by. You'd be at a disadvantage, but you could survive. Why should Japan provide 'necessesities' to foriegners? From what I see it has everything there that one needs to live and survive, if you mean 'they should speak English so English-speakers can get by', then that's different. Why should they? Do we learn Japanese so Japanese can get by here?