View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

07-13-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven
I'd like to point out one thing. Many people who study abroad come back without really improving their Japanese. A reason for this is because they hang out with a limited amount of Japanese, who can usually speak English fluently, and mostly hang out with native English speakers.
I'm glad that you pointed this out, because I've read this is on various posts here, as well as on a few others.

The reason why, though, that I was considering Temple University in Japan is because I really wanted to see if I could actually handle living there. I thought that it'd be a good way to really test my own perceptions with what Japan actually is.

Thanks for the suggestions on more books. I buy from Amazon quite often so I'll be sure to look for those books and/or books similar.

: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven
I think you should listen to RickOShay though... if you're not having a good time where you are now chances are you're not gonna have a good time after you've displaced yourself half way around the world in a country that may be hard to relate to. So even if you travel to Japan, chances are you will have a super great time... but living here is a different story. Reality will settle in, and reality is basically whatever you make of it.
I'd really like to make it clear that when I say that I'm considering pursuing a life in Japan, that doesn't mean that I'm miserable here in the States.
I'm content with my life and I adore my family. My parents and my sister along with my older brother and his girlfriend are my best friends. They're the most supportive, loving, and caring people I could ever hope to know.

So, I'm not trying to run away to this place that I perceive as a sort of paradisal and perfect place.

x ]

And, though I know that I'll miss my family if I do decide to pursue Japan, I want to find what'll make me happy; whether that be in Japan, Europe, or still here in the U.S.

^^

More questions:

I would like to ask people who weren't born in Japan and who live there now:

How did you decide on what you wanted to do in college? And how did you decide on a career?
And if you don't mind me asking: What are do you do as a profession overseas?

I'd just really love to hear all of the opinions that I can so I can understand my options, whatever they may be.

Thank you to Steven for answering my questions and thanks to anyone who replies to my new ones, haha.

: )

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe