View Single Post
(#43 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-14-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Why Japan? I wouldn't necessarily rate Japan as an upgrade from America. Honestly, there are probably far more Japanese who would want to live in America than Americans who want to live in Japan.

Once again (as this topic has been gone over several times), the reality of Japan is often much different from the expectation. I know many people who have come to Japan to get the experience of living and working here, and most return home after one year. A few die-hards stick it out for longer, but I wonder if they truly love Japan, or if they are simply mentally unstable.

Personally, I like living in Japan, which is why I am still here going on 3 years. I visited 3 times before making the decision to move, so I knew what I was getting into, and I had lived in other countries in the past, so there was no culture shock or homesickness to deal with.

Contrary to what others have mentioned, you don't really need to know much Japanese to get by in Japan, particularly if you live in one of the larger cities. If you are coming to work as an English teacher, you'll get even less chance to use Japanese, as your coworkers and students will primarily use English. I spent more than a year studying Japanese before coming here, and I can honestly say that I could have done fine without it. It's better to know it, but it's far from necessary.

As for English teaching as a profession, I don't recommend it, unless you like minimal pay and minimal benefits. There is a lot of competition in the teaching industry, but surprisingly little room for advancement or good pay, unless you have a masters degree or higher and teach in a university. I enjoy teaching, but it's truly a dead-end job. But in my case teaching has become a sideline, as I've finally been able to go into business for myself.

There are other opportunities for foreigners in Japan outside the education market, but you'll need a professional degree of some type to qualify. The most useful degree in Japan is economics (boring as the subject is), with others being in engineering or such. Japanese studies would be an absolute waste of time and tuition as it wouldn't qualify you for anything in Japan, and it would be worth even less in America or Europe.

Keep studying, get into university learning something useful, and visit Japan a time or two before packing your bags and getting a one-way ticket.
Agree with most of the above especially the part about not needing fluent Japanese to live here. Sure it helps but you can live a great life here without being fluent. I've known people who have lived here for 7+ years without becoming anywhere near fluent. They don't last that long if they're not enjoying themselves. I've been here nearly 6 years and am far from fluent but absolutely love my life here.
I live in a small country town in Hokkaido and the cost of living here is a fraction of what it was back in Australia. The big costs in life like houses and cars are incredibly cheap. Our house, a 2 storey 3 bedroom place, cost only about Y10 million. In Australia you could barely get a shoebox for that.
The area I live in has about 300 foreigners who live here year round only a few of which teach english. Most of us work in property management, sales and development and hospitality at the Niseko ski resort. In winter many hundreds more come to work seasonal jobs. It is a great, close knit little community. Our lifestyle here is mostly stress free and based around outdoor activities and of course most importantly skiing! It's a lifestyle I could only dream about in Australia.
Anyway if you're looking for jobs in Japan outside of teaching English, Niseko is a good place to look especially for those with experience/qualifications in Hospitality or construction project management or real estate sales and have a good standard of Japanese language skills. Although I indicated fluency is not essential, it would definitely help you to get a job up here.

Last edited by GoNative : 07-14-2010 at 02:47 AM.