View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Oh shit sorry I double posted, just added some stuff. This is tough, some kanji I can find in the calligraphy dictionary but I haven't got a clue what they mean. By the way it isn't grass script. That is a common mistake. 草 also means rough, it's a rough script as it was applied naturally to write every day memos. Hope you don't mind me pointing that out ;-). If I can;t break this puzzle I ll ask my calligraphy master.

Trust me Kyle, Japanese can;t read running script, it really does not matter how many kanji one knows. It's all down to rules of 草書. And it's a jungle lol.

Ok, here it goes. I cannot read one character, and cant understand meaning of two. There are the two that follow 花籠 and I am 99% positive it's a name. 3rd one reads ぼう i ll try to find a meaning of it. 4th one is a my educated guess, judging from the 草書.

地由 makes no sense but I reckon combined with the first kanji it can be name of the place. The swipe to the right in 用 is incorrect, or my knowledge is not enough. Right side is misleading but could land somewhere near 痛. It is also possible it's a mistake. I can;t make anything out of it.

all in all, it's a wooden case, i reckon made of Paulownia tree (as majority of the wooden cases for scrolls, ink and calligraphy supplies), that contains or rather contained a suzuri, possibly lacquered and covered with gold flakes, made or belonging to a person whose name starts with 花籠

Thanks for the pointers. Also, all the little pieces of kanji I did know but didn't help finding a full kanji you came up with something similar (e.g., the 子-esque radical in the first line), so that makes me feel a bit better about my kanji recognition at this point in my studies.

And I knew 草 also meant "rough" because I just learned the vocab 草稿 ("rough draft" for the beginner and intermediate learners out there) a couple days ago! I just assumed 草書 was named that way because the strokes are smooth and pretty like grass blowing/bending in the wind. I have learned something new!

Thanks.