View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hi again OH I see, forgive my rudeness. I know trees are extremely difficult to draw. I have a fascination with trees of all kinds. They are magnificent and we need to cherish each one.
No, it's quite alright. It's not obvious to think of trees as being so varied within types; a cherry tree is a cherry tree, right? I was pretty skeptical at first on how we were taught to draw plum blossom, because it didn't look anything like the plum tree I had back home, but blow me down, when spring came and the japanese plum bloomed, it looked ~exactly~ like the blossom we'd been painting all year!

Quote:
I wish I could draw but I am hopeless. I admire your efforts very much indeed. You say you are out in the sticks-- roughly where are you? I am not far from Brighton on the south coast.
Well, I always say sumi-e is ~great~ for beginners. The techniques are super simple to learn and its very forgiving of mistakes. You spill water on it? Drop the brush? It's fine!

Quote:
I adore japanese writing and calligraphy. When my japanese friend writes it for me I love it. also KANA-- is very striking when writing names.
I think the calligraphy is very pretty, especially when combined with the art, but I haven't really tried it myself. I like doing the pictures more!

Quote:
Did you enjoy your year in JAPAN? DId you explore the country in general?

I wish to see the countryside most of all--not keen on big cities.
anyway do keep up your efforts they are very striking. best wishes, Babs.
I loved it. I didn't travel as much as i'd have liked because I was so busy studying, but I saw a LOT of Kyoto (I think i walked almost the whole city), plenty of Osaka, Kobe, Nara, Hiroshima (and Miyajima) and the area around Lake Biwa, not to mention the little unheard of places around where I lived. I did go to Tokyo and Yokohama too, but I didn't see so much there. I think you'd probably like Kyoto, there's a lot of green space compared to other huge cities. If I go back, I'd like to see Kagoshima and more of the west coast, and Hokkaido.