View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post

Columbine: Never sign yourself in kana. Ever. Use gagoin (pen name) as you do. It's well written and you have a flow in it, also it means something to you. That is all that's important. I can feel passion in your work, love it.

I dunno about those leaves of mine, I think they are horrible, and not very bamboo-like. I need to study some sumi-e basics. Perhaps we could exchange with information regarding calligraphy and sumi-e resources or free tutorials.
Haha, no I wouldn't sign in kana; the sharp lines look ugly and break up the the flow of a painting.

I think you have the basic idea of bamboo; the dark leaves closest to the hanko are the best. You need to improve the tonality though; dip your brush into a grey tone and then dip the tip into a black tone and then paint the leaf, and you'll get variation in the leaf. Also, bamboo leaves rarely grow directly from the stem.

Probably the easiest thing you can do to improve your sumi-e is just to make a study of how the plant is constructed. You have an advantage in that you already know how to work the brush!