(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-02-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umstah View Post
Hello everybody,

I am moving to Japan for a year or two in October to work for a Japanese business company located in Tokyo. I just graduated from ollege in May, and somehow managed to land for lack of better description a "salary man" type job, and having grown up loving Japan I accepted the offer.

So basically, I have two months to prepare to move to Japan, and would love advice on what to do.

I have a couple of things on the list:

1) learn as much japanese as possible - the boss stressed that I need to learn Japanese as soon as possible, so I need to learn a lot in the next two months - im going to get a tutor twice a week = four hours total, and it will be one on one. Beyond that, I heard that Japanese for Busy People was a good series, but I really have no knowledge on this topic. Any ideas? maybe watch shows/movies/music?

When I get to Japan I plan to take language classes three times a week, and study on the days I don't have class.

The business environment will be almost completely conducted in Japanese, the boss and some senior staff know limited English but Japanese will be essential

How long do you guys think in that environment (exclusively Japanese in the office, classes several times a week) will it take me to achieve reasonable fluency?

2) some knowledge of Tokyo and what to expect - I have been to Tokyo once, but I was 14 at the time - sooooo I don't really know what to expect or how to prepare myself. any ideas?

3) (not too seriously, but somewhat) take golf lessons, apparently thats huge in the japanese business world. my boss told me he wanted me to play soooo probably a good idea to learn
1) You have two months to learn business Japanese? No dice, friend. You will need at least three to four years to be working efficiently in a Japanese speaking environment. I hope you new employer understands your Japanese speaking ability.

2) Your experience at 14 and now is two very different things. Please ask specific questions and you will get specific answers.

3) You don't know how to play golf, and you have accepted a job where playing golf is a requirement? Like learning Japanese, you will need a couple years, at least, to not embarrass yourself on the course.

Again, I hope you new employer knew that 1) you don't speak Japanese and 2) you don't play golf.

These aren't problems that can be solved in 2 months.