View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
umstah (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2010, 07:50 PM

First off, thanks for the replies everyone! I really do appreciate everyone taking out their time to help me

Okay, I think clarification on the Japanese issue is in order: My boss stressed the importance of Japanese, both I think for my sake as some noted earlier and also for their sake. My boss does NOT expect me to arrive in Japan speaking fluent Japanese, or anything like that - I just told him I would study here and take lessons so that when I arrived I would have very basic conversational ability, which I think is doable in two months

After I get there, I will be taking language classes several times a week, and studying hopefully 2+ hours a day - but again, he doesnt expect me to get fluency over night - I told him hopefully by next summer (julyish, after being there for about 9 months) I would hopefully have decent conversational abilities - or enough to actually take part in the office with only limited english instruction by that time

I hope that sounds achievable, and my goal would be by the end of the second year to have decent knowledge of Japanese, again not fluency - but at least have a good grasp of the language. Remember that I will basically be in a complete immersion setting, since most of the english speakers in the company only speak limited english.

My current knowledge of Japanese - I know hiragana completely, and I have limited understanding of verb conjugation from some experience earlier. I also have a limited vocabulary

is that better? maybe? you all scared me! lol

on to the next topic - golf - He was mostly joking, but he said he would "teach me how to play" and he would like me to play with him - I don't think that part was a joke, so he probably wouldn't be taking me when he is meeting with an important person, but I think if he is taking some employees or something, its possible he might ask me to come. So again, not expecting golfing excellence

Tokyo - what I meant more was information about how it will be to adjust and get used to living there - I am south asian, so I will be a pretty unusual sight in Tokyo, can I expect any issues from that? how long does it take to learn your way around Tokyo? any good places to go or things to do see, etc. you all can think of? just things like that, helpful tips mostly

The visa sponsorship application process has been started, and should finish soon - so no worries there, and both the drivers application and hanko stamp were good ideas, thanks

- clothes, good info - i heard the business place in japan was a lot more formal, but i currently have three suits, black charcoal and grey, so i think im fine. i need a pair of brown dress shoes,but on shirts and ties i think im good

also, my company is going to find an apartment for me, and i will obv have a salary to pay for the rent, etc.

if i didnt address something, just let me know.

thanks!

Last edited by umstah : 08-02-2010 at 07:52 PM.