View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
I kinda feel bad for starting a whole new thread for this but eh...

Who's taking the JLPT this year? What level? What's your study plan? Have you taken the JLPT before? Any tips?
I ~was~ planning to maybe take 2kyuu in December, but a) everyone says not to bother as the 1kyuu is all anyone is interested in, and b) now i've been accepted onto another full time course and i don't think i'll make my study deadlines now. :/

As for materials, do NOT get suckered into the trap of thinking that 2kyuu is just a case of cramming as many kanji as you can, there's grammar and other things too.
As for resources, I have the 日本語総まとめ問題集 series (because it was recommended by my teacher) but actually I don't like it much. It presents kanji in contextual lumps (ie, all 'hospital' kanji together, all traffic kanji together), and it schedules learning fairly well albeit with rather a lot of optimism on how much a person can learn and retain in a day, but it doesn't give you much of a chance to ~practise~ the things and test yourself on them. This I find especially problematic with the new grammar, as all the practice sections are merely multiple choice, which is FINE for a final exam, but not when I'm still learning things, I want something that allows me think more. I generally like the vocabulary book and the reading comprehension book is fairly reasonable too, and does tie in with the others fairly well.