View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-17-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Umm, no. He wants one to stamp a painting. Every artist I know has carved their own.

Kids do indeed make them for school regularly. Eraser stamps are a normal thing, and kits for them are sold all over.

I think that you misunderstood me as suggesting that someone make their own hanko/inkan. That`s something entirely different, and not what the original poster was asking for in the first place.

I know, which is exactly why I said that making one requires a skill in calligraphy and carving, where the latter is not so important, as long as you are dexterous. What kids make at school, and what is being pressed on calligraphy are both on a very different level.

Hanko and inkan, as well as stamp used by an artist can be made by a special shop. there are different shops for both. Although most of the artist try to make their own.

There are basically four types of seals used for calligraphy depending on where you press them, and all of them are in seal script (sometimes reisho). Person studying calligraphy begins to learn seal script after studying kaisho, reisho, gyousho and sousho. Tensho (sealscript) is 5th in line, which is why I am trying to explain why it requires a skillful calligrapher that understands seal script to carve a decent seal.

Hope that explains my point a bit better.

edit; oh i know what you mean, i quoted op although he said nothing about what type of stamp he will be using. where on earth did i get the idea he is talking about hanko? possible i had two forums opened and got something mixed up. Anyway, it does not change the fact that carving is far from easy.

Last edited by ryuurui : 08-17-2010 at 12:45 AM.