View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2010, 04:42 AM

I think teaching experience, even if you just have a little, gives you a huge advantage. I had absolutely no teaching experience and I got in. I mean I did a little tutoring in high school and took a class geared at teaching Japanese (not that that's what I wanted to do), but that's nowhere near what real life teaching is, which it sounds like you have a closer experience to.

If you're into that "old style" Japan, then the Kansai region might suit you well. There are a lot of historical areas there and most of it has been really well preserved.

Samurai007 is spot on though... I think that what they're looking for is people with good attitudes who are good communicators, because when you get down to the job, that's mostly what it's about.

Knowledge of Japanese is questionable... they act like no Japanese is needed, and a lot of people get in who are like that, but then at certain times they really appreciate it when you know Japanese. (I've heard stories where coworkers get a little miffed when you use Japanese though... but I believe that it won't affect your ability to get into JET.)

Just for a little tip in case you do get accepted... a lot of your coworkers might look down on you for going to other asian countries, which I find a little bit strange. I'm not sure if it's jealousy, racism, or a mixture of both... but I think that depends on the person. A lot of teachers wont care, but I've met a lot who are vocal about that for some reason. Travelling around Japan on your time off will definitely cause a little jealousy, but it's the good kind if you know what I mean. I know that a lot of JETs get together and travel to places together, so if you're comfortable with that they will probably take you to a lot of cool places. Going solo might allow you to really adventure where most foreigners don't usually go (which is a relatively safe thing to do). I personally think it's a bit lonely travelling Japan alone, so if you can it's best to go with a partner or two. Travelling depends on your tastes, but if you live in Kansai you won't have to go very far to get to the kinds of places it sounds like you have interests in. It also sounds like you want to go to a "ryokan", which is like an old style in. You might wanna check those out on the internet if you haven't already. I've had experiences with multiple inns like that. I went with my parents when they travelled to Japan one time in Kyoto and it was nice, but obviously slightly geared to foreigners. If you really want to have the real-deal-experience, you could always ask a friend to teach you some good places. Although a slightly foreigner-friendly place will probably be fine (as it was still a relaxing experience).

So what kinds of stuff do you like to do on your vacations, and do you plan on staying a night or two? (where you are willing to travel to will greatly depend on where you are placed)