View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
A famous Japanese writer from 明治 (Meiji) era called 夏目漱石(Natsume Souseki) once translated "I love you" as 「月が奇麗ですね。(The moon is beautiful)」. Things can be radically different in Japan. I like Sashimister's 祝! ふたりの一周年! if it's in writing. I don't know how you say it verbally though. Like him, I don't usually use 「おめでとう」for something that involves myself. It's a word I use to congratulate somebody. I feel going 夏目 style, like「一年たったね!(It's been a year!)」, sounds more natural, colloquially. Maybe saying something in 山形弁 is really cool, too bad I have no idea what it's like.
I've heard of that before! We did that in a class and one kid who'd never heard of it before said something like "カエルのなきごえってきれいだね” or something like that. It was the most しぶい thing I've ever heard a 12 year old say haha.

When I really think about it, after a year I do remember saying 1年たったな after my first year. We did both say 1年おめでとう though for sure, and we did cheers after that and ate dinner... I think it was kind of a tongue in cheeck thing on my wife's part though.

About Yamagata ben, I've not really heard it spoken full throttle before, but what I have heard of it has caused me to come to a couple conclusions. It's really cold up there, therefore things get super abbreviated. The first thing my friend taught me was that in place of "食べる?" they say "く?" and instead of "食べろよ", they say "け". Also, a lot of the か row becomes が, which is sometimes true around here as well (but it's not really acknowledged).

Last edited by steven : 08-27-2010 at 12:31 AM.