View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think that assuming that all children are given extra sugars, food additives, etc etc is jumping to conclusions - particularly when talking about Asia. There is a huge culture of processed foods for children in the US and I assume also in the UK, but not nearly as much in Japan and the rest of Asia. Kids tend to eat the same things as adults, and those things are generally cooked from the raw ingredients.
From what I understand from your posting here I would assume that you take extra health precautions with your child. You are well informed and cautious. You also have a child with different needs. Not knowing anything else about the OP I can't say the same thing.

Given some of the food scares happening in China I can't assume every food item being produced in Asia is automatically healthier than everything in the U.S. Even in Asia there are parents who do not pay attention to the ingredients in packaged foods. Or they can rely too much on food companies wanting to provide nutrition more than they want to make a buck. I think it is best to be cautious.

I was raised on a fairly unhealthy diet. My mom really trusted food companies, didn't really understand labels and didn't watch our sugar and chemical intake. I had a slow metabolism and rotten baby teeth. I stopped eating things with non-naturally occurring sugars three years ago and I lost 20 pounds in six months, so perhaps I am sensitive to the subject.

I am not saying you should never give a kid an electrolyte boosting drink. I think juice or milk is a healthier alternative but that water is best. I am certainly not condemning anyone who has ever given a sports drink to a kid. But what is the healthy restriction? One a day? One a week?

Just checking, but nobody here is actually saying that they would prefer to give a kid a sports drink rather than water in normal circumstances?