View Single Post
(#886 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

09-24-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post

I do question that the phrase "Self dependent" is wrong. surely it means a persons dependence on Him or her Self, self explanatory really.

I also question the use of THEMSELF. them-- is plural so surely themselves is more accurate but better to say either Him or Her self. It just strikes me as odd. unless English has changed a lot since my school days. Maybe it has.

Self`-de`pend´ent
a. 1. Dependent on one's self; self-depending; self-reliant.
Oops, you're right. It is actually valid English; that entry appears to be from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary. so the word has definitely been around for a while.

Still, it seems to be used far more rarely than "self-sufficient" and "self-reliant", at least judging by the frequency of matches for these phrases in Google searches of both web pages and Google Books. That might explain why it sounded wrong to me. I wouldn't use it myself, much less recommend it to an English learner.

As for "themself", I agree with you--only "themselves" is correct. I would guess the writer is trying to use it in an attempt to make up for English's lack of a gender-neutral personal pronoun. This is certainly an unfortunate flaw in the language, but most attempts to fix it end up sounding clumsy and unsatisfying to me.