(#15 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
09-27-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post

*laughs* this is great, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it irritating. That "like" habit was influenced from the Americans, wasn't it? My Canadian friend uses it a lot, so that could be it. Every youngster in my country, like, uses it, he he. ....

Now, there's also the internet lingo that's used very often, even outside of the P.C.
Yeah, Americans say that, like, a lot, ya know? We also use Internet lingo (text speak) like "btw" and "lol" in conversations, and "wtf?" "OMG!" and "brb." It's interesting, but sad because it shows how internet chatting and texting has become so engrained into our society.

We also have Ebonics, which is, basically, ghetto language. "Wazzup home dog?" or "Dat ain't right, bro" are sample phrases. Some of my friends talk like this, which is annoying sometimes, but I've learned to live with it.

We also have Southern drawl...someone help me out on this... I don't know how to speak it, but it has it's own slang.

I'm from the West Coast of America (aka California and Hawaii), and Californians say "like" a lot, and "what's up, dude?" "AWESOME!" and in some parts where there's a lot of surfing, "Dang that was narly, dude."

In Hawaii, they say "Hang loose" as a goodbye. Because they're very laid-back, many Hawaiians slur their words, like "Howzit?" for "How are you doing?" the slur of "How is it?" "stink eye" refers to someone who's giving you a dirty/mean look. And like Canadians, Hawaiians like to add "eh?" at the end of many of their sentences. I think this comes from the Japanese equivalent (since there are a lot of Japanese on Hawaii) where the Japanese say "...ne-?" at the end of their sentences, seeking mutual agreement from their conversation partner.