(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Notice all the packers are coming to that one car? That's probably the car closest to the exit at the station everyone wants to get off at. I bet there are open seats on the same train at a car further down the line, but it just means you will be last through the turnstiles instead of first...maybe a difference of a minute or so.
Actually - it`s the other way around.
It`s the car closest to the entrance - people rush and hop in the first open door so they don`t miss the train. If they were to go to the next car there is a chance the train would leave without them. It doesn`t matter where they will be getting off - in some cases the train closest to the entrance at one station is the furthest from the exit at another... An extra minute of walking is better than 5+ of waiting for the next train (and possibly much much longer if the next train doesn`t line up with the one you`re changing to). Taking a train 5 minutes later can result in up to an hour delay if you`re traveling far and have to change several times. Also, looking at it the other way around - taking an earlier train might mean you have to get up and leave 2 hours earlier if you live a fair distance away. (For example out where there is only 1 train every 30 minutes). 5 trips of 5 minutes takes a LOT more than 25 minutes. If they`re not timed well and you miss one in the middle... Who knows how long it will take.

So you get tons of people hitting the most popular line for exchanges at the time of day when there are the most trains in sync. Chances are, 90% of them aren`t actually going to anywhere on that line itself. They`re all coming from elsewhere and trying to make the next train they need to take - that specific train is the most efficient. It`s sort of the system bottleneck.

I hate Tokyo trains. Having tons of different lines is not necessarily a good thing, especially when they`re run by different companies, don`t have connected stations, and don`t bother to sync up for exchanges.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.