View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2010, 03:35 AM

This is an interesting thread.

Here's my take on it:

The line near me is fairly clean. It comes once an hour and the last train is at 10 or 11. The line sometimes stops unannounced because of wind or snow. It's not something I like using very much... it comes in handy maybe twice a year. Other than that, most people just drive. If I didn't live a minute's walk away from the station, I'd never use it.

As far as trains in general, I find them to be expensive and limiting. You're kinda stuck on rails. I like the idea of going somewhere and having the freedom to drive around and find a unique place that is off the beaten path. I don't really go on trips by myself, and carpooling makes it that much cheaper to go places. It might take 10,000 yen for gas (two tanks for a round trip) and 4000 yen or so in toll road fees, but I'd imagine that same trip would cost about 20,000 yen per person on a train (if you used the shinkansen).

Another thing that I don't like about trains is not getting a seat on a long ride-- which is why I always get reserved seats now. Also, sometimes trains will split, which can be confusing if you're not used to it (getting on the wrong car can result in a big mistake). The biggest thing for me, though-- which is obviously a local problem, is that big trains don't go to my station. So I have to drive to that station and park (and possibly pay fees unless it's only for a day or two) in order to avoid an hour long wait to switch train lines on my way home.

With all that said, though... I admit that I'm looking forward to the Shinansen that will be going from nigata through toyama, ishikawa, and fukui (I think that's the situation anyways). If you're travelling to Japan, then the train pass is great and you can experience all the trains you want-- which is the best way to experience it in my opinion.