(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-03-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post

dear Columbine-----
I was actually answering Jambo when I referred to poetry-- so please get your facts right. I added poetry because I was sick and tired of the arguments about "TO and INTO.

I had replied but it will be better to restrain my thoughts.

Please tell me: what is a "GERUND?"
Forgive me if i misread your inflection. I know some of your comments were directed at Jambo, but some of those points about using poetry as a learning tool have been bought over to this thread, and this thread isn't a directed response to one comment. It's an open debate. From my perspective you seemed to think that EFL teaching is ALL technical and doesn't care about creativity, and that for getting technical or not using poetry to teach means we have no appreciation for it, or are stifling our students. I wanted to make it clear that it isn't the case and assumptions like that are insulting.

A gerund is a present continuous verb being used as a noun. IE
I swim (infinitive/simple present verb)
I am swimming (present continuous verb)
Swimming is good for you (Gerund)

You can make short quotes by clicking the quote button on a post to get the type box. You'll see at the top a bit of code with the user name of the previous poster and a string of numbers ie [QUOTE = columbine;XXXXXX] (there shouldn't be any spaces). For every small quote you want to make you have to copy that code, leave the words you want to quote and then type [/quote] after the words.

so If I wanted to short quote 'gerund' i'd put [QUOTE = columbine;XXXXXX] gerund [/quote]