View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
curiosityshop (Offline)
New to JF

Looking for and english speaking, japanese-learning penpal - 10-09-2010, 09:24 AM

Seeing as most of us are beginners here, I thought it might be a good idea having a e-penpal that spoke english, but was also learning japanese so that our conversations would be on the same level. We could write emails to each other in japanese (e.g. if one of us isn't good with kana, we could provide one text in kana, followed by the same text in romaji?).

If we start off simple and build on it, then we could learn new vocabulary from each other. And to check that we got the correct meaning, we could send back a translation with our reply. e.g:

Mr.A: Konnichiwa! Watshi wa gakusei dewa arimasen.

こんいちわ! わたし は がくせい でわ ありま せん

Mr.B:Did you write: "Hello! I am a student."

Konnichi wa! Watashi wa mo gakusei desu.

こんいちわ! わたし は も がくせい です。

Mr.A: Almost! I was saying: "Hello! I am not a student."

ect...

----------------------------------------------

So yeah, if anyone's interested let's go ahead! I doubt our conversations will be realistic, but we could ask each other stuff to practice what we know (e.g. I'd ask you what time you start work/school , send you a map and ask you for directions to something, invite you to non-existant events ect...)

We could do this here, or we could do it by email. If we're able to have proper conversations, then it might be worth chatting over the webcam in (although I have to say, I am excruciatingly slow when speaking)