View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
I don't understand people that see Countries as an individual and expect its citizens to behave as one unified person.
Unfortunately that's how a lot of people think in this world (as far as I can tell anyways).

At the same time though, I think that just because something is in the past doesn't mean that it should be glossed over. People involved in WWII are indeed becoming fewer and fewer, but I think it's still a living history (the people responsible for it are no longer with us though). Because of this I feel that people are losing the connection of history and their everyday lives. I've talked to a lot of middle school students in Japan who don't seem to have any sense of what kinds of things were happening in Japan 70+ years ago. Not that I'm that old myself, but I used to be able to talk to my grandpa about "those days" which gave me a vague idea of what went on. These days, kids' grandparents weren't really alive back then thus making those kinds of histories kinda hard to keep.

In other words, I think it'd be something worth learning about. Are people learning about that in schools I wonder? I remember my high school history teachers kind of glossing over the internment camps for Japanese-Americans in America during US History classes. It was VERY relavant at the time too in my opinion seeing as how "Arabian" people were being subjected to a similar process around that time.

If you take away the sentiment of what Dannavy is saying, I think I can agree with him somewhat. I think there should be an effort to remember (or teach) these kinds of things. However, apologizing it might not be felt as taht sincere because non of the apologizing parties/receiving parties could have been alive when that kind of thing was going on. (please correct me if I'm mistaken)

Last edited by steven : 10-12-2010 at 04:51 AM.