View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-13-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
”たまに学校に行く” = 200+ hits (As I suspected this word is translated as "occasionally" in my dictionary... this seems more natural to me even though the word "occasionally" isn't used as much as "sometimes" in English. When you get down to it though, is there that big of a difference between "occasionally" and "sometimes" in English? This is an area where dictionaries are very misleading)
”学校はたまに行く” = 13 hits (with a slightly different nuance)
Would you say the nuance is something like in the second example, there's a bit more emphasis on the "sometimes"? It kind of feels that way to me, since the most natural place I think for たまに is at the beginning of the sentence (if I'm right about this, I'm jumping for joy that my ear hasn't devolved too much over the years!).

Quote:
”学校はだいたい行く” = about 5 hits (I think this has a nuance along the lines of regularly going to school... but there is a problem sometimes with going. This is instead of "sometimes going to school because I'm only required to go to school sometimes).
Yeah, that feels to me like "I more or less go to school [the frequency that is normal, but there is slight variation for some reason]." Like if school is Monday through Friday, "I more or less go to school five days a week"-type feeling. I probably overuse the word だいたい in conversation! It's my go-to for "usually."